The earliest mention of Hesla Farm (Gaard) in written history is from 1528, however, the farmland has been exploited and inhabited since the early viking days. Consisting of 6 different buildings, including the barn, The «Stabbur» is the elder among them. It was built in 1632, and is still accommodating guests today.
Since 1738 the farm has been run by the family Hesla, who gave it its name «Hesla Gaard» (Gaard is Norwegian and translates to farm).
The family have since offered wayfarers a place to rest and recover. In 1923 Hesla Gaard officially opened up as a guest house, offering its guests to stay in «Gunhildbu» and «Kårhuset». Eventually, «Drengestua», «Hallingstugu», «Stabburet» and a part of the main house «Våningshuset» was made available to accommodate more guests.
The 7 houses have been renovated since 2016 and 2019, with materials that conserve the architectural and historical heritage of the houses in Hallingdal. By doing tourisme we have the opportunity to share part of the Norwegian culture and at the same time maintain the constructions, traditions and it`s authentic